Monday, May 17, 2010

Scared of the Dentist?

I am scared to death of the dentist. Between the ages of about 9 and 14 i didn't brush my teeth that much. I have had three teeth out, once via gas, and two while i was awake.





I just wanted to know, it was about... 10 years ago that i had been under gas for removal of a molar, but do dentists in the UK still use gas?





My most recent extraction was about 2 years ago, and i had a really horrible dentist, that when she shoved stuff down my throat, i would gag and she would shout at me... lol. Anyway, that extraction involved removing a huge tooth. I am just scared shitless that it will hurt even more.





I know it's not actually that bad, but i just hate drilling and the vibration in my tooth.





I will definately need one tooth removed, because it hurts when apply lots of pressure, and perhaps the other side too...





I would really appreasate any dentists oppinons! By the way, i'm 16, would i need to pay, or will i get it free on the NHS?





Thanks, and sorry for the language!

Scared of the Dentist?
I'm not sure about the UK but in the US most dentists know a lot of people are scared and part of their training is about how to get patients more comfortable. Some use laughing gas but some will also prescribe a mild sedative. However if you're not willing or not a good candidate for that, they can help you with relaxation techniques, deep breathing, etc. Sometimes they will suggest bringing an iPod and listening to relaxing music that you enjoy. I'm sure the UK isn't that much different now. Call some dentists' offices and talk to the receptionists. Tell them about your fears and concerns (including your past experience with the horrible dentist!) and see if it seems like their office can help you. Don't put off getting the dental treatment you need; the situation will not improve on its own. Good luck!
Reply:Dentistry has improved much in the United States. Many of us didn't brush much as children.


Find a dentist who practices 'gentle dental'.

clogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net