Monday, May 17, 2010

NHS dentist hell: refund or damage for pain and suffering?

About two months ago, I had a filling done by an NHS dentist.





After the operation, the tooth was very sensitive for about 2-3 weeks; during this time, I used the other side for chewing.





Since then, the tooth is OK. However, there's a gap behind the tooth (apparently the filling was too small!) so food always


get caught onto the gum and this causes discomfort and gum


inflamation and bleeding. So I can't use that side of the mouth STILL.





I went back to the dentist. She took an X-Ray and said everything is fine. Then I talked to the head doctor, who,


after viewing the X-ray, offered to give me a refund or have


the filling redone by another doctor at the same clinic.





I'm considering getting a second opinion from a private dentist (not NHS) and have him re-do the filling, this could be


more expensive.





What should I do? Should I accept the refund (which is certainly a form of admission of failure)? Could I seek


a greater financial compensation for pain and suffering?





thanks.

NHS dentist hell: refund or damage for pain and suffering?
Dentistry is not an exact science. It is possible that some of the filling chipped away. Having sensitivity for 2-3 weeks after a filling is quite normal, and if not in pain now then probably is not big deal. I would have it replaced if the tooth is bothering you. As for greater financial compensation for pain and suffering, you would spend more on lawyer fee's (if one would even take this case) then you would get back. If you get your car's brakes fixed, and then they still don't work right, you go back and get them redone for free. You don't sue the mechanic!!!
Reply:Usually if a tooth is sensitive after a filling, it was either a deep cavity or a filling that is too high. Go back and let them correct the filling. I think this happens, on occassion, to even seasoned dentists. It can be corrected so that food does not pack into the crevice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net