Monday, November 16, 2009

Dentist - I'm freaked out, will I lose my tooth?

In the first week of December, I fell and displaced my front tooth. It was out a bit, and pushed back. I went to the dentist the day after since it after at night, and was told I had tiny fractures. The dentist was able to reposition it and put a wire on it to hold it for a month. It was taken off first week of Jan, and it doesn't feel loose. But I haven't bothered touching it with my tongue or biting on hard foods, I was told not to.





But I'm afraid maybe its not healing right. I sometimes feel a pulsating sensation for seconds, 2 or 3. I wonder what that means. Is it normal? It doesnt hurt at all. Besides that, I really don't feel anything else in that area. What are signs my tooth isn't and won't heal the same? Does having a root canal mean I will lose my tooth? or will I be able to keep it and cover it with a veneer?





Please dentist, ease my mind. How do these cases usually carry out? I'm 20 years old, I'm hoping age will help it heal back to normal.

Dentist - I'm freaked out, will I lose my tooth?
The tooth may be resorbing. This happens when a tooth has been traumatized such as you described. You may want to see an endodontist and discuss having a root canal. There is an uncertain prognosis for your tooth.





If this had happened to you when you were very young and the tooth's root had not yet fully formed and closed on the end, the prognosis would be better.





A root canal involves drilling a hole into the tooth to gain access to the pulp tissue, removing the tissue with tiny, long, slender files and filling the tooth with a rubber material. It is usually necessary to crown teeth after root canals, but not always front teeth.
Reply:A root canal will not have the tooth taken out. Basically, they will numb your jaw, scrape out the infection, cut off the nerves going to that area, put a filling in it, and crown it. My boyfriend needs a root canal, so trust me on that. I have already researched the information.





Of course, if you got the tooth pulled, you could always save for a false tooth, later on, and they would do something like a bridge. Not sure about that part, though, really.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net